Regarding the poisoning of a family that had eaten wild pork and now critically ill, can you post something on secondary poisoning with 1080. Speaking with hunter professionals I gather that this is most likely to be the cause of this Indian family being in intensive care. The toxicology reports are sure to com back as negative for 1080, because that would be too much egg on the governments face.

Views: 685

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I will dig in NZ Viking. Give me a couple of days - have guests in at the moment so we turn off our modem (to make their stay frequency free).

My first call will be Danielle...

Seen a few fb posts on this today (been unwell so only glimpsed, will find them) and the 'verdict's' already been made it appears that it's botulism with of course many 1080 skeptics commenting. Of course it will have the 'desired'? effect of putting folk off eating anything wild.

They are indeed thrashing out the evidence on FB particularly those more knowledgeable on it so will keep an eye out & post any relevant info here. Given the Whitney Robie scenario it's unlikely as you say NZ Viking that any toxicology reports would report 1080. They silenced Whitney's doctor. They'd never admit to it. Not ever according to that Doc.

Yes Danielle, I thought that when I heard the news last night, it will put people off hunting because of the question around the safety of the meat. Then they will say we need to 1080 to kill the pigs .

It was given that it was the wild pork , botulism, and then they interviewed the expert and he said botulism was from bottled preserved food, NO mention of it being the pork. More double speak with misleading intent.

Take care of your self and be well soon.

Thanks Sarah. I'm much better. Been a busy few months & just tired. 

And yes misleading alright. Plus dodgy they so quickly decided botulism anyway. they will drag it out i'm sure as is the usual tactic. The young Whitney Robie's parents still waiting years later. Last post I saw they were twitching apparently which is one of the 1080 symptoms. Awful. 

Nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain are common within 1 hour of ingestion. Sweating, apprehension, confusion and agitation follow. Both supraventricular and ventricular arrhythmias have been reported and nonspecific ST- and T-wave changes are common, the QTc may be prolonged and hypotension may develop. Seizures are the main neurological feature. Coma may persist for several days. Although several possible antidotes have been investigated, they are of unproven value in humans. The immediate, and probably only, management of fluoroacetate poisoning is therefore supportive, including the correction of hypocalcaemia. 

Sodium Fluoroacetate Poisoning. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/.../6517312_Sodium... [accessed Nov 17 2017].

Family face permanent disablity after eating wild pig

Three people hospitalised in the Waikato after eating wild boar may suffer permanent damage as a result.

The family are being treated for suspected food poisoning at Waikato Hospital after consuming the meat, believed to be contaminated by an unknown substance or bacteria.

Shibu Kochummen, wife Subi Babu and mother Alekutty Daniel were found unconscious by emergency staff at their Putaruru house on Friday.

Mr Kochummen collapsed while calling emergency services for medical help.

Family friend Joji Varghese told Newshub poisoning may have occurred after the victims ate contaminated pig.

"Shibu and some of his friends... went hunting for some wild boar," he said.

"They cooked and consumed it on Friday evening for dinner. Within half an hour they began throwing up. Shibu tried ringing the emergency services.

"Someone turned up at their door and found all three adults unconscious."

Mr Varghese says the trio are now in a vegetative state, and doctors are determining the cause of the incident.

"They have been diagnosed with food poisoning after having consumed contaminated wild boar," Mr Varghese said on Facebook.

"The nature of contamination is yet to be determined. Doctors are puzzled by the severity of the condition, as such a potent contaminant has not been reported in NZ since 1983."

He says the effects of the contamination may lead to irreversible damage.

"We do not know what was in that boar. The tests - the toxicology reports - still have not come out," he says.

"Currently all three are conscious but they're not aware of their surroundings. They spasm often, so they're moving involuntarily. There's no response to proper stimulus. Doctors fear it will lead to some form of permanent disability."

He's calling for aid from New Zealanders to help the family, who have two children and face a difficult recovery.

"I have had detailed conversations with the doctors treating them and they fear the worst," he wrote on Facebook. "They reckon it will take up to two months for the poison to be washed out of their body.

"Only then can they start to recover. Even if they recover consciousness, they may suffer permanent damage to their bodies, such as partial or total paralysis or tremors.

"There will be muscle wastage, which will require intensive physiotherapy. All of this could take up to six months or more.

"Their road to recovery is a long and rocky one."

The Waikato DHB says Mr Kochummen and Ms Daniel are stable in a ward, while Ms Babu is in a serious condition in a high dependency unit.

"We are still investigating potential sources for the illness in this case, of which wild pork meat is one," says Waikato DHB medical officer of health Dr Richard Vipond.

"We do not have any evidence to determine any broader contaminated game meat or that there is a risk to public health."

A detailed toxicology report is expected on Friday.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/family-face-permanent-disab...

A family of three who were hospitalised with suspected food poisoning after eating wild boar are being treated for botulism.

Wild boar may have poisoned Putaruru family Photo: RNZ / YouTube

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/344093/family-poisoned-with...

We had this Go Slow in son's pighunting dogs early winter 2015 and donated a freezer of wild pork and a live dog with Go slow to this lady vet mentioned to help her along with her testing which she said she was doing unsupported of her own accord but havn't heard anymore since, maybe she couldn't get the required number of dogs to complete her testing or maybe she was 'tapped' from higher up and told not to proceed. Back just before noticing first signs of sickness in the dogs I did roast a leg of the later to be discovered contaminated wild pork meat but for some reason just the smell of it cooking on this particular day put me off eating any, well actually I tried just a wee small bit and it tasted odd so chucked it. Also that boar was taken from an area not usually hunted by my son and when he did drop by there early winter of this year for a geez he saw signs for 1080 posted everywhere, so it was laid on foot . Also reading the article, interesting that Mike Moody whom we've worked with years ago mentioned getting it himself in 2011 which was the worse year out for planes flying over that west coast side where he's from, day and nite, dropping chemtrails with all kindsa shit and then strange fungi started popping up everywhere here on the east coast side not long after.

now that is very interesting RC. And hasn't come up anywhere on the fb 1080 forums that I've seen. Very interesting indeed. There's a lot of curious items out there currently though I'm seeing. Like there are too many native birds that could be a problem (yeah right) ... seen others too that to me seem to be covering arse for the possible effects 1080 is finally having out there. Makes you wonder on this one doesn't it?

thanks for the articles Danielle. I tried going back to an article on faeces book I was watching back when this incident erupted and could not find it anywhere then my computer stalled on trying to search it - sure sign they just want this to 'go away'. Thank God there's folk like urself ready to sleuth out the truth, no wonder too they hacked ur website, just gotta carry on I spose.

J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 1996;34(6):707-12

Clinical presentation and prognostic factors in sodium monofluoroacetate intoxication.

Chi CH, Chen KW, Chan SH, Wu MH, Huang JJ.

Department of Emergency Medicine, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, Tainan, Taiwan, ROC.

BACKGROUND: The diagnosis of sodium monofluoroacetate intoxication in humans is usually based on a history of ingestion and clinical findings. Although several previous reports have described the clinical course and outcome of patients who ingested this drug, prognostic indicators of short-term survival are not available. 

METHODS: A retrospective study of 38 consecutive cases of sodium monofluoroacetate poisoning at the National Cheng Kung. University Hospital, 1988-1993, to analyze the clinical findings and to predict mortality. 

RESULTS: Seven of 38 patients (18%) died. The most common symptom was nausea or vomiting (74%). The most frequent ECG finding was nonspecific ST-T and T wave abnormalities (72%). Hypocalcemia (42%) and hypokalemia (65%) were the common electrolyte abnormalities. The clinical and laboratory characteristics were compared for the survival and mortality groups. Significant differences in hypotension, respiratory rate, pulse rate, creatinine, potassium, elevated alanine aminotransferase, pH, PCO2, APACHE II score, and subjective respiratory distress were noted. Discriminant analysis identified hypotension, increased serum creatinine, and decreased pH as the most important predictors of mortality, with sensitivity of 86% and specificity of 96%. 

CONCLUSIONS: Hypotension and the early onset of metabolic acidosis and increased serum creatinine are associated with poor short-term survival. These prognostic variables can be useful in the care of patients with suspected sodium monofluoroacetate intoxication. It is suggested that all such patients should be observed intensively for at least 48 h.

PMID: 8941201 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

RSS

© 2018   Created by rose.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service