Rocket Lab's "Secret Payload" is a Big Disco Ball. Really. Honestly.

Rocket Lab has angered astronomers across the world after putting a glittering disco ball into orbit.
New Zealand’s first-ever successful orbital launch was hailed last week, but on Thursday the company revealed in addition to two mapping satellites, the Electron rocket was carrying a reflective sphere it called the ‘Humanity Star’.
It holds no practical purpose, except to “get people to go outside and look up”, according to Rocket Lab founder Peter Beck.

But people who look up every day for living are outraged, expressing their displeasure with the company’s space junk on social media.
“Intentionally bright long-term space graffiti. Thanks a lot @RocketLab,” astronomer Mike Brown, of the California Institute of Technology, wrote on Twitter.
“Most of us would not think it cute if I stuck a big flashing strobe-light on a polar bear, or emblazoned my company slogan across the perilous upper reaches of Everest,” Columbia University director of astrobiology Caleb Scharf wrote for science magazine Scientific American.
“Jamming a brilliantly glinting sphere into the heavens feels similarly abusive.”
New York University astrophysicist Benjamin Pope called the Humanity Star “short-lived and kind of cool”, but said it would get in the way of real satellites.
Even Kiwi scientists are tut-tutting Rocket Lab.
“This one instance won’t be a big deal but the idea of it becoming commonplace, especially at larger scales, would bring astronomers out into the street,” University of Auckland physicist Richard Easther told The Guardian.
“I can understand the exuberance for this sort of thing but I also get the sense that they did not realise that people could see a downside to it.”
The upside is that Humanity Star will burn up in the atmosphere when its orbit decays, in about nine months’ time.
Newshub.

Yeah, but the aliens did it better. At least according to Spielberg:

What a waste of time and money.

Views: 240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It looks like giant jellyfish hovering over a rock and that rock by the way maybe be a old tree before the flood.

Your giant fossil tree has no root system or rings Michael. It's a very interesting rock formation though. At least you said "may be"

http://kisscasper.com/there-is-no-giant-system-of-roots-under-devil...

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/media/devils-tower-geology/

Anything resembling a root system is most likely lava tubes.

If you look at the mount you can see it is not lava as it does not set like that and in the bible one verse says that some trees touched the firmament.

Also that tree turned to rock during the flood and it has been noted st helens pine trees have turned to rock just in 38 years in the lake.

I agree there are plenty of fossil trees and even whole forests around Michael. But we have buried Kauri forests here in NZ that are demonstrably older than 38 years that are still being unearthed and have not petrified, so that's neither here nor there.

If the Devil's Tower formation is a tree stump, then where is the rest of it? Where are other examples of this gigantic tree species? How did it fit into the surrounding ecosystem at the time of it's coevality?

With regards to basalti/volcanic rock crystalising into irregular hexagon columns, it certainly does set like that. Check out the amazing Lost City of Nan Madol, Ponape in the Caroline islands chain constructed entirely of basaltic lava flute columns extracted from Chickenshit Mountain (real name!).

Also check out Giant's causeway, Ireland.

Petrified trees are petrified trees and crystalline lava cones are just that.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2018/01/rocket-lab-s-huma...

Rocket Lab has angered astronomers across the world after putting a glittering disco ball into orbit.

New Zealand's first-ever successful orbital launch was hailed last week, but on Thursday the company revealed in addition to two mapping satellites, the Electron rocket was carrying a reflective sphere it called the 'Humanity Star'.

It holds no practical purpose, except to "get people to go outside and look up", according to Rocket Lab founder Peter Beck.

But people who look up every day for living are outraged, expressing their displeasure with the company's space junk on social media.

"Intentionally bright long-term space graffiti. Thanks a lot @RocketLab," astronomer Mike Brown, of the California Institute of Technology, wrote on Twitter.

"Most of us would not think it cute if I stuck a big flashing strobe-light on a polar bear, or emblazoned my company slogan across the perilous upper reaches of Everest," Columbia University director of astrobiology Caleb Scharf wrote for science magazineScientific American.

"Jamming a brilliantly glinting sphere into the heavens feels similarly abusive."

New York University astrophysicist Benjamin Pope called the Humanity Star "short-lived and kind of cool", but said it would get in the way of real satellites.

Even Kiwi scientists are tut-tutting Rocket Lab.

"This one instance won't be a big deal but the idea of it becoming commonplace, especially at larger scales, would bring astronomers out into the street," University of Auckland physicist Richard Easther told The Guardian.

"I can understand the exuberance for this sort of thing but I also get the sense that they did not realise that people could see a downside to it."

The upside is that Humanity Star will burn up in the atmosphere when its orbit decays, in about nine months' time.

Thanks John,

nobody is impressed with this publicity stunt, especially as it was done in secret.

As always, I do think there is more to the picture than meets the eye.

I think they are looking for commercial opportunities. Can you imagine the sky filled with orbiting billboards?

Note also that this "disco ball" is approximately the same dimensions as a HAARP satellite......!!

Martin get a Load of this  More Space  Junk added in Obiting Earth  Elon Musk adds to the Junk Pile too.  https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/footage-captured-spacex-launch-sp...

Cheers  John in Australia

Elon is a loony.

I did an article at Uncensored a wee while back on Elon's plan to deliver a pretty red roadster to mars. I hope the Martians have compatible recharge stations

Looks like Samwise Gamgee should have stayed in the shire.

Seriously, makes me wonder if these idiots have any idea what they are doing. I know the whole shenanigans is so compartmentalised that most dont have much of a clue. But it never seems to occur to them that we need the planet for our survival...but the planet definitely does not need us.

Lets all fire more crap out there shall we???

Took 3 attempts for me to load this page just now and I get the strong impression someone or something does not want me to see this , let alone Comment. I kid you not, there were literal 'alien flashing lights' flashing on and off down the right hand side of the page on 2nd attempt at loading.

Hmmm  Interesting Cat  like  Ghost inside Ones Computer I wonder  if my Comments will see  Light of Day here without  Flashing Light and Blinking Eyes  and Twitches  on my Eyelids  He he he   Do get same Strange  Light Beams on my Desktop appearing and dissappearing when I was in Canberra now living in Cooma  they have followed me here too, ET Call Home I  wonder.  Maybe Higher Realms  are trying to send us Coded messages or it is MK Ultra  and we are all Zapped out of  our Minds and never Knew it.  John's Musing  in Realms of Fancy.  

If all else Fails  on your Mind and Computer Link  Try Johns Brain Gym 101  Exercise 1  for today.  Never Know may  actually solve one of your Problems plaguing us all these days of Net O Holics and PC  Madness never seen when I  was young in 1960's.  Just  Tried my Idea and it really Works  Ha ha ha believe me when I say I am AMazed  or is that a White Lab Rat trapped inside Ones Mind.

RSS

© 2018   Created by rose.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service