11:30 am on 29 December 2017 

One of the country's busiest beaches has been inundated with dying bees, creating a hazard for holidaymakers.

Whangamatā in Coromandel.

Dying bees have been washing up in Whangamatā. Photo: RNZ / Sarah Robson

Surf Lifesavers at Whangamatā have gone as far as issuing a warning to beachgoers to watch out for the insects.

Deputy Head Guard Max Jones said they had dealt with dozens of first aid requests for bee stings as thousands of the insects began washing up on the beach this week.

He first noticed them washing in with the tide on Monday and said it got worse as the week progressed.

He said that by Wednesday there were thousands of bees all along the high tide mark and they had to help about 20 children who had been stung.

Mr Jones said he had never seen anything like it, and while they were trying to alert people to the problem it was difficult with so many people on the beach.

He said the bees were mainly at the high-tide line, and while the numbers appeared to have decreased people still needed to be vigilant.

Views: 194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have found the rescue remedy SPRAY very effective in combating bee and wasp stings even days after the event( swelling, itching). Contains alcohol and may sting more for a moment but provides lasting relief. 

We had to buy in bumble bees this year - gone from the second largest swamp in NZ - and we also have the issue sarah has - bugger all mozzies and no sand flies.

Cummon NZ - wake up.

Would love to know from locals who are paying attention - has there been a spraying program in the area? Or have they placed more cellphone towers? Electro magnetic radiation is just as bad for bees as chemical sprays, is there anyone who can throw more light on the loss of all these bees?

I'll keep an eye out for anything like this in Chch. We did have one expired bee on our back doorstep minus stinger, but haven't noticed any more. 

As for mozzies, never used to have any, but now we get quite a few thanks to the Red zone returning to nature.

not long since their 1080 drop

Have had a few dead or nearly dead bees in the past three months. I have tried to put some of them back on the flowers thinking that they were stunned by something. The ones that were still alive, were crawling across the path barely aware of anything, looking like something had attacked them, and being unable to fly. I have noticed maybe one or two a day some days. Must be something in the air affecting them. If I find another, has anyone any suggestions where I could take them and have them tested for what it is that is affecting them.

Lots of jellies, newly hatched chicks, adult doves, even butterflies littered along port kembla beach after high heat day before xmas. It was a strange feeling. I woke at 3am, could feel it coming then. So could the dog.

Thanks for the update from Oz Nym...its a worry alright. Willing people to wake up in a hurry now.

What about neonics  insecticide sprays on fruit crops? Known to kill bees.  Otherwise I’d suspect the chemtrail mix du jour.

Also, we’ve seen quite a few dead bees in Christchurch for months now

Hot here Cold there.

Sharks are being frozen solid as the cold snap continues to grip more than half of the United States.

reckon Ant, could be as coromandel just had a drop

© 2018   Created by rose.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service