Latest Activity

Nicola Basham commented on Jodi's video
43 minutes ago
Gary LeComte posted a status
59 minutes ago
Verviers Whatu favorited Snafu's discussion High-Speed Hoverboard For Human Flight
1 hour ago
Sarah Hornibrooke replied to rose's discussion Privacy call to limit power usage monitoring
2 hours ago
Laila commented on Nym's video
2 hours ago
Laila favorited Nym's video
2 hours ago
Sarah Hornibrooke replied to rose's discussion Privacy call to limit power usage monitoring
2 hours ago
Laila commented on Nym's video
2 hours ago
Alexandra Johans shared rose's discussion on Facebook
3 hours ago
rose posted discussions
3 hours ago
Susan replied to rose's discussion All Fish from Pacific Tested Positive for Fukushima
3 hours ago
Fiona replied to rose's discussion The Light Bulb Mafia in the group Health and Wellbeing
3 hours ago
Susan replied to rose's discussion Clif High Update - "The Global Financial System Reset is Happening Now "
3 hours ago
Fiona replied to rose's discussion The Light Bulb Mafia in the group Health and Wellbeing
4 hours ago
Susan commented on jeffrey goober wefferson's blog post ZBIGNIEW 'DOC TRONIC' BRZEZINSKI DEAD AT 89: AT LEAST HE WAS REALLY HUMAN (IF HE'S DEAD)
4 hours ago
4 hours ago
Janie Langley replied to rose's discussion Clif High Update - "The Global Financial System Reset is Happening Now "
4 hours ago
Jennifer Neilson favorited rose's video
7 hours ago
rose posted a video

Resistance Without Anger - James Corbett

http://freemantv.com/ Can we have resistance without anger and anarchy without chaos? With A.I. technology like Watson, even lawyers are about to be obsolete...
8 hours ago
Nym replied to rose's discussion What You REALLY Need to Know About Manchester
8 hours ago

Members

WHY WE GARDEN

Gardening Articles for week ending 8th October 2016
Written by Wally Richards.

There are very few people that do not garden in some manner, whether it is just mowing the lawn and killing a few weeds when needed to keep the place tidy.

Some people landscape their property with shrubs and plants to have low maintenance gardens of weedmat and bark/pebbles with either areas of lawn or cobbles in between.

This enhances the appeal of the property which can make a good impression to visitors and increase the market value when looking to sell.

Spring often brings people out into their outdoors to do a tidy up after winter and this can encourage them to plant a few shrubs, flowers and even some vegetables.

If the new season is a good one and the plantings in the spring are successful then these people will continue doing a bit more gardening and plant some more in the autumn.

Then we have the thousands of people that really enjoy gardening and are out doing a few things most days, all year round, weather permitting.

There are many reasons why we garden, we enjoy being one with Nature, getting our hands into the soil and watching our efforts product lovely flowers and healthy vegetables.

The joy to see a batch of seeds breaking through the mix as they germinate.

Successfully growing a plant that you were told would be difficult where you live in New Zealand.

To produce spectacular floral displays and provide high nutritional produce for the table are a few of the great accomplishments gardeners have .

Pottering around in our gardens (note: not working in our gardens) because pottering is a pleasure, we are breathing fresh air, exercising, gaining stress relief along with a healthy dose of Vitamin D when we do not use sunscreen and are careful about exposure times.

Us older people remember how we learnt to start the season off with small exposure times and build up as we tanned up. Using Virgin Coconut Oil before gardening then after we have finished, having had a shower and then again the same oil for its marvelous moisturising properties and skin protection.

Gardening is great for our health and when we grow our own fruit and vegetables using soil enriching natural products then we have the benefit of great tasting produce that is brimming with healthy goodness.

Recently I wrote an article in regards to the Supermarket promotion of 'Little Gardens' and one of my readers emailed me the following:

Excellent article Wally. My wife & I also involve our kids in the gardening & they have their own patches to garden. They will eat any vegetable put on their plates & like them raw even better than cooked in most cases! We started them off helping in the garden as soon as they could walk and they were eating radishes covered in dirt as soon as they had a couple of teeth. They have excellent health & don't get sick any where near as often as most other children their age. On the rare occasion that they do get sick, they are over it in a few days while others are sick for weeks (Not boasting, just pointing out the miraculous power of healthy home grown organic veges). Our 3 children are also growing the NW supermarket little gardens at home & just love anything to do with growing plants (and eating them of course) Thanks for the great article once again.

Tony Olsen

Thanks Tony, your observations confirm my own and the power of gardening in regards to our health and the health of our loved ones.

Kids that grow up doing gardening with their parents will learn about Nature, take pleasure in growing vegetables and flowers and gain a appetite for the things they grow that are full of goodness, flavor and very tasty.

This brings up an interesting thought about children that do not like eating the conventionally grown produce which lacks in both flavour and goodness and may contain many chemicals that are used while the crops are growing.

There are natural products that can increase the goodness and health of your plants and gardens and one of these is Magic Botanic Liquid (MBL)

I have heard some great comments about MBL over the years one of which was that after regular two weekly spraying of their roses , roses that had no noticeable perfume previously now have beautiful scents plus the foliage being free of common diseases.

MBL( Known also as Humate and Fulvic acid ) is a growth booster for plants, it makes for much bigger root systems, stronger and healthier plants.

Benefits include;

Aids and speeds up germination of seeds.

Helps to release locked up fertilisers from past applications especially phosphates.

Helps increase availability of chemical fertilisers and organic foods for plants.

Helps reduce many common plant disease problems.

Cleans up many toxic compounds, chemicals and oil spills in soil.

Helps to establish plants in areas where they cant or struggle to establish.

Stimulates growth of soil micro organisms. Increases root respiration and formation.

Increases availability of micro nutrients. Can increase permeability of plant membranes, which will enhance nutrient uptake.

Increases vitamin content of plants. Improves seed germination. Accelerates root development. Stimulates plant enzymes.

Contains a number of trace elements such as Si, Mg, S, Mn and more.

Increases ability for photosynthesis. Contains silica which strengthens cell walls, helps block disease and regulates cell temperature which increases drought and frost tolerance.

Increase pH buffering properties of soil. Retains and releases water soluble fertilisers for plants when needed.

Increases soil aeration. Improves soil structure. Makes soil more friable.

Has a capacity to detoxify chemical residues and heavy metals.

A powerful, natural chelating agent. Improves taste and shelf-life.

Fulvic acid can promote prolonged production, as it tends to delay the aging process.

Fulvic acid increases the metabolism of proteins.

Used at the rates of 20ml per litre as a soil drench as required and 10ml per litre as a foliage spray once or twice a month.

A must for roses, tomatoes and all vegetable and fruit crops.

Green keepers are using it for better turf so onto the lawn for better healthier lawns. If you have brown patches on the lawn where dogs have urinated use MBL to help restore or re-establish grass. Use on your flowering annuals for bigger displays and you will need less plants to fill beds. (with balanced NPK or organic mulches etc) Great stuff...

Problems ring me at 0800 466464 (Palmerston North 3570606)
Email wallyjr@gardenews.co.nz
Web site www.gardenews.co.nz
Phone 0800 466464
Garden Pages and News at www.gardenews.co.nz
Mail Order products at www.0800466464.co.nz

NEWS is something which somebody wants suppressed: all the rest is advertising.

Real economists, if there were any, looking at the real economic picture would see an economy collapsing into widespread debt deflation and impoverishment. 

Debt deflation is when consumers after they service their debts have no discretionary income left with which to drive the economy with purchases.

QUESTION MORE

Views: 149

Replies to This Discussion

Simple TRUTH:Waking Times

Gardening More Meaningful than Voting in a Rigged Political System

Ron FinleyAlex Pietrowski, Staff
Waking Times

The most effective change-makers in our society aren’t waiting around for a new president to make their lives better, they’re planting seeds, quite literally, and through the revolutionary act of gardening, they’re rebuilding their communities while growing their own independence.

Every four years when the big election comes around, millions of people put their passion for creating a better world into an increasingly corrupt and absurd political contest. What if that energy was instead invested in something worthwhile, something that directly and immediately improved life, community, and the world at large?

The simple act of growing our own food directly challenges the control matrix in many authentic ways, which is why some of the most forward-thinking and strongest-willed people are picking up shovels and defiantly starting gardens. It has become much more of a meaningful political statement than supporting political parties and candidates.

“Propaganda gardening, a combination of guerrilla gardening and political protest, is about developing self-sufficiency while making a simple, yet bold statement about the world we all share, and the rules we choose to live by.” [Source]

Take, for example, Ron Finley, the ‘Guerrilla Gardener’ from Los Angeles who inspires the world with no-nonsense truth about how the corporate food system enslaves us, while proving to us that the most effective weapon in this fight is fertile soil. He makes growing veggies cool again, as it should be, because food sovereignty is the very foundation of personal independence.

“I live in a food prison.. It’s all by design just like prisons are by designed. I just got tired of being an inmate. So I figured, let me change this paradigm, let me grown my own food. This is one thing I can do to escape this predestined life that I have unwillingly subscribed to.” – Ron Finley

Think about it. Creating your own food supply challenges the status quo in a number of important ways. Growing your own food:

• Decreases dependence on a polluted corporate food system
  • Improves health and wellness by providing exercise and nutritious food, freeing us from dependence on a for-profit medical system
  • Undermines Monsanto and the agro-chemical industry that is polluting our world and killing bees
  • Highlights issues of political control by pitting homeowners and gardeners against government and ordinance makers
  • Builds and heals community by providing a place and activity worth coming together over
  • Works to repair the damage we are doing to the environment with our consumer lifestyles
  • Protects us against insecurity and food unrest
  • Facilitates a greater awakening by setting an example for others to follow

When united, awareness and action create the kind of changes that a rigid control system cannot tolerate, and when extraordinary people like Ron Finley take the lead, a meaningful movement can take hold. This is real action, it is very effective, and as it becomes more mainstream to set up gardens in your yard and on your block, we will witness the re-emergence of the kind of society we just cannot create by playing by the rules of a rigged system.

“I had sixty people putting in an urban garden while you all were marching. Now who do you think was more effective?” – Ron Finley

Here’s Ron in a recent interview with Marc Angelo of the Superhero Academy:

Just a few generations ago, gardening for sustenance was not the fringe activity that it has become in recent decades, because it was a basic daily act of survival. One that will rise again as a controlled economy and engineered economic collapse will make it imperative to join forces with your community and defend your personal sovereignty.

““Why don’t you churches get together instead of with your ‘my religion is better than yours’ bullshit, and get together and put in a healthy food market… isn’t that doing good business? If your people live longer, don’t you get more money?” – Ron Finley

What happens when you transform yourself by deepening your connection to nature? What happens when you then transform your community by bringing your neighbors together in the goal of providing something of immense value to all? What happens then when a nation of transformed communities sees their world without the boundaries of and limitations imposed on us by a corrupt system?

The four year cycle of presidential politics in the US is far more effective at stealing the constructive energy of motivated people than it is at bringing about meaningful change to our lives, communities and to the nation as a whole. Time to try something far more effective and rewarding. Let’s overgrow the system, and transform our health and communities in the process.

For a sign that this movement is spreading across the nation, check out this homegrown music video, ‘Gardening is Gangsta,’ by Mark Jankins and Sifu Paul Davis. “I don’t rely on new food stamps. Cuz’ every season got me harvesting some new plants.”

A wonderful response George. 

RSS

© 2017   Created by rose.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service