A Personal Story from Ghost Hacked ~ Agenda 21 and the Shared Economy

I was sent to Toronto for my work.

My boss had asked me and I said sure, because I was really the only option at that point. I said as long as you have everything set up right. There will be no problems. When I heard about an Airbnb booked for my two week stay. I asked what was the reasoning for it? They could not find something for two weeks. Hotels were booked enough that I maybe have to switch rooms a couple times. That did not bother me at all.

I hop on the train for the first time in my life. Loved it, relaxing, got to see a nice view. Rolled into Downtown Toronto. And that is where things started to go downhill.

I got to the airbnb location and it's two stack em and pack em residential towers billed as 'airbnb friendly'. Before I left the lady had send me an app via text that will unlock the door via blutooth. I discovered quickly how old my phone was and how outdated it is. Now that's not the real issue, because I like the phone that way for a damn good reason. So I could not even install the app.

I call the lady , I get buzzed in by security guard, does not know who I am. I inquired about things, and then I went through a couple doors that should be locked and took the elevator up. Got to the unit, she was able to unlock the door via ..wait, how did that happen? She used her phone to send a code via the Internet to the home network and then to the device, and I am in, then lock the door behind me.

Instantly I started to feel sketched out. I am here for two weeks. The place is a small 800 sqr foot 1 bedroom 'stylish condo'. By the people going in and out with luggage when I got to the lobby and the amount of wifi network had names that would easily point it out as one of these airbnb types.

My view from the unit.

https://thecontrail.com/photo/toronto-substation?context=user

So by that I estimate there is 30-50%  of these towers are really just airbnb. So what they mean by mixed residential/retail/commercial (Agenda 21) is this type of scenario. Meaning the whole building is that mixed model. 

I am not comfortable with any of this. The place you live should be your sanctuary. And with that many people going in and out daily. I would NOT want to live here. Oh and the price of one of these units?  About 450Gs CND.

The unit is trash. The thinking was to stay in one of these and I can save some money with cooking a few of my meals (low per diem). They also wanted to save money and well it was really a last minute thing.  The interior walls are paper thin. The fixtures and cabinets are generic as fuck. Cramped space, the windows are garbage and there are cracks in the ceiling, it might be the paint cracking but the patterns indicate a larger issue. This unit was built 15 years ago and it looks like it is falling apart already.

They were doing renovations too. The walls were being sanded and painted, the fixtures were being installed in the hallways.  I woke up yesterday morning to the sound of sand paper on the walls. I get ready for work, walk out the unit and there is a guy RIGHT there on a rolling stand to sand the high spots. The hallway was filled with dust and so was the unit when I got back that night.

Good morning!

https://thecontrail.com/photo/airbnb?context=user

OH right so after I got here I took a shower, got dressed and headed out for the night...

I head out and grab some pizza at a shop near by.. Nice place, I recommend it. I had a few beers which did not calm my nerves at all. Me and the bartender talked about this stuff and he pointed to the wall where there was a box with a screen connected to it. A guy walks up to it, swipes his phone , one small door pops open, he grabs a key and he is on his way.

What's this?

https://thecontrail.com/photo/blutooth-activated-lock-box?context=user

I then started to question. If this the tower I am in is like that, how many more are there in the area? And what does that all mean? The more I thought about it, the more macro it got and the more I realized that I am not in Kansas anymore (Wizard of Oz). All the videos I watch online for Agenda 21 has not prepared me for the real fucking rude awakening I about to experience.

I got back, tried to smoke some pot (it's legal now!!) but I did not get any calm my nerves at all. So I end up not sleeping a wink that night.  Great that's going to be a problem when I arrive on site for the client. That's another shit story but I shall concentrate on the Agenda 21 aspects of it.

Now for the next morning ...

I get ready for work and head out, I take a cab the firs time, then I decided to walk the rest of the time as it was close enough to get to.  The streets were filled with Ubers, Lyfts and who the fuck knows what else is out there. In my walk, the streets are crowded, the people are rush rush rush....and if you are not strong in your walk, you are going to get crushed.

But that is all Toronto for you. A fucking catastrophe of modern living. Driving here is a hassle on purpose I guess, narrow streets, deciated bike lanes. OH I guess this is a good time to mention the shared bikes. I asked someone. 'Ok well what happens when there are too many bikes for the racks when you drop it off?' the reply was 'someone goes around and redistributes them.' Interesting, jobs are created? I walk another block and sure as fuck, there are a stack of bikes locked up with a long cable lock, ready for pickup. And then I saw it again two more times in 3 blocks.  These things are on every 2nd to 3rd corner.

https://thecontrail.com/photo/rent-a-bike?context=user

All of this is tied into the shared economy. You don't own a fucking thing. We refer it to something called '*As A Service.' And we see it HEAVILY in the IT industry. It's subscription based and you pay month to month, quit anytime, but you keep nothing in the end.

There is this restaurant near the client. Nice looking upper style pub type. Had a chat with the owner day, and I mentioned the situation, and I also asked, how do you deal with the delivery services? He said simply 'I don't.' Turns out he is against it and will not deal with it at all. I looked around and agreed, he's got a nice pad to hang out in. Why the fuck would you not hang out in his pub? These delivery services do not give an incentive for people to go out and enjoy some hospitality. You are paying the same price, hell more (delivery) so go there and enjoy it. Fuck.

Now about those poor suckers who get into these services ...

All these service people are considered independent contractors. That means, they take care of their own benefits, and their own taxes and record keeping. But do any of them pay taxes? How so? All through the cashless society?

https://thecontrail.com/photo/stack-em-n-pack-em?context=user

This kind of shit is killing the real hospitality businesses and the jobs that go with it. A hotel is established, a reputation and provides certain services and amenities that an airbnb will never have. Not unless the price goes up, then you might as well just stay in a real hotel.

This also creates artificial inflation on the price of these units. And many of them are airbnb types. Now, let's talk about creating an artificial housing crisis where I am staying in a shit hole condo that someone is making money off of...oh in the end it turns out the price of the two week stay is very comparable to a hotel for that duration anyways.

Now if many of these towers are airbnb types, then you may have about a few thousand units that could easily go to people who actually NEED a place to LIVE, outrageous as the prices are.

All while I see many people sleeping in the streets, and there must be others in hidden places.... cold, dark and lost.............. it's December in Canada.

All these service people are considered independent contractors. That means, they take care of their own benefits, and their own taxes and record keeping. But do any of them pay taxes? How so? All through the cashless society?

https://thecontrail.com/photo/stack-em-n-pack-em?context=user

This kind of shit is killing the real hospitality businesses and the jobs that go with it. A hotel is established, a reputation and provides certain services and amenities that an airbnb will never have. Not unless the price goes up, then you might as well just stay in a real hotel.

This also creates artificial inflation on the price of these units. And many of them are airbnb types. Now, let's talk about creating an artificial housing crisis where I am staying in a shit hole condo that someone is making money off of...oh in the end it turns out the price of the two week stay is very comparable to a hotel for that duration anyways.

Now if many of these towers are airbnb types, then you may have about a few thousand units that could easily go to people who actually NEED a place to LIVE, outrageous as the prices are.

All while I see many people sleeping in the streets, and there must be others in hidden places.... cold, dark and lost.............. it's December in Canada.

Views: 462

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Back to the Bike Share program for a bit...

https://bikesharetoronto.com/news/bike-share-toronto-expands-to-new...

Toronto, Ontario, August 15, 2018 — Today, Marco Mendicino, Member of Parliament for Eglinton—Lawrence, on behalf of the Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities; Toronto Mayor John Tory, and Annalise Czerny, Executive Vice President of PRESTO, jointly reiterated their commitment to expand Toronto’s Bike Share system.

The Government of Canada has committed up to $4 million through its Public Transit Infrastructure Fund (PTIF) for Bike Share expansion in Toronto, which is matched with another $4 million from the City of Toronto. Through this funding, the Toronto Parking Authority (TPA) was able to deliver 70 Bike Share Toronto stations in 2017 and is installing another 75 stations by the end of August this year.

In addition to the Bike Share Toronto expansion funded through PTIF, Metrolinx is funding a further expansion of 15 stations through a contribution of $980,000.

The 2018 expansion will add a total of 90 new stations to the Bike Share Toronto network. As a result of both the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund and Metrolinx contributions, the system will grow to 360 stations in Toronto, with a total of 3,750 bikes, and 6,200 docking points.

But the program is not cheap and this is in spite of a the program already losing a lot of money.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/despite-losses-city-set-to-p...

--------------------------

The city is planning on adding another 1,000 bicycles to its Bike Share Toronto program this spring, even though the service isn't self-sustaining and is expected to be $1.1 million in the hole by the end of this year.

The Toronto Parking Authority, which oversees Bike Share, will be asked at its Monday meeting to approve adding the new inventory to its existing fleet of 2,750 bikes. As well, the plan calls for 90 new Bike Share stations and an additional 1,570 docks.

But the plan's $5.2 million price tag is not sitting well with Coun. Stephen Holyday, who represents Ward 3, Etobicoke Centre.

"Maybe they could look at cutting costs, or other ways of delivering the service," he told CBC Toronto Friday. "I appreciate the use of a bike sharing service, but the city should be making money off it, much the same way that it makes money off parking spaces."

------------------

Nothing like showing sustainability by implementing a program that is LOSING money.  The restrictions are many. You can buy a year pass, but your single rides are limited to 30 minutes. So that means if your ride is over that you can pay for it, or drop it off at a station under the 30 minutes and pick up another one and continue on.

Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?

More from the CBC article

--------------------

Wheldrake said the cash flow problems are being caused by the program's lack of a private sponsor.

"We're looking for a big sponsor," Wheldrake said Thursday, one that's prepared to invest "millions" in Bike Share.

TD Bank had been bankrolling Bike Share, but pulled out in 2016. 

The program began as a privately-run business called BIXI in 2011. It was taken over by the city's Toronto Parking Authority (TPA) in 2013.

-------------------

Lack of a private sponser is the reason for the failure of the program and not because it's very expensive to put in and will take a long time for a return to happen? I'd like to see the stats for usage, that's gotta be out there somewhere.

-------------------

It's now funded mainly by riders, who pay $90 for an annual membership, or buy cheaper one-day, or three-day passes. Wheldrake said there are currently about 11,000 annual members and about 90,000 "casual" users.

According to TPA budget figures, Bike Share cost about $3.9-million to operate in 2017, but only brought in about $3.2- million in revenue, leaving a shortfall of about $690,000. That deficit is expected to rise by another $410,000 by the end of 2018.

Coun. Mike Layton, who represents Ward 19, Trinity-Spadina and is a member of both Bike Share and the lobby group Cycle Toronto, said Friday the service should continue to be maintained by the city, even if it costs money to operate.

---------------------------

That's right folks. Sustainability here means this program is forced on you, runs at a loss, but yet taxpayers will pay for it by the city throwing more money at it. I'll have to see what's going on in Ottawa, and now I understand that a 65 floor structure will be built along the yet to be finished (delayed a 3rd time) light rail. That would peg that as THE tallest in the city by at least 20-15 floors.

Also program works quite well in winter. Also only part of downtown Toronto is really set up for bike lanes. It's a mess of traffic with cars, buses, taxis, ubers, lyfts, trains, trams and walkways. These things will be exposed to the elements 24/7. Meaning they are going to need a lot of maintenance, or replaced often. They are GPS tracked and you actually generate the power by pedaling which is then stored in a battery and to keep the GPS active.

What a fucking scam.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/article/beware-the-hidden-costs-of-...

---------------------

Unfortunately, this small gain comes at a high cost to taxpayers, much of it due to the theft of bikes and damages needing repair, in spite of efforts to make them as sturdy as possible. Such bikes cost Paris $1,050 each.

In fact, the numbers of lost and damaged bikes are staggering. In Paris, 80 per cent of the bikes have either been stolen or had to be replaced for other reasons. Every day, 1,500 bicycles out of 20,600 have to be repaired. A regular user of the Paris system states: Finding a decent one is now something of an urban treasure hunt. In London, 30 bikes out of 5,400 have to be repaired every day.

--------

Now that's not bad 30 out of 5400. Much better ratio than France. But these are the costs I was referring to previously.

------

There are additional costs associated with the expensive docking stations. In London during the first six months of operation, three of the docking stations were damaged beyond repair and 10 were stolen. Twelve needed repairs after damage by motor vehicles or vandals.

Finally, there are the high capital costs associated with the system. The interest payments plus the normal amortization of the assets should be covered by operating profits and in this regard, the experience of Montreal is not encouraging.

Montreal’s bike-share program in its second year of existence had a total loss of $6.7 million after an operating profit of only $1.5 million. As a result of these financial problems, the City of Montreal had to save the company from bankruptcy with a loan of $37 million and a $71-million credit guarantee in the Spring of 2011 so the company could pay its suppliers.

------------------

Well, I guess it's not working out to well overall. Bringing this to Ottawa would be stupid as the snow gets plenty and the downtown is already carved up in some places for bike traffic. The really good thing here in Ottawa, is that there are a LOT of dedicated bike paths cutting through the city. During the summer, I can easily get downtown on a bike in about 45 minutes using dedicated bike paths and some bike lanes. I've seen good applications of it and I've also seen bad applications in Ottawa. The amount of road traffic I would need to deal with is about 20%.  Dedicated bike paths are the way to go. Riders want to cruise and not stop all the time like normal traffic. And here they get used a lot because of that ability to go a long distance without needing to stop frequently. Seems that was already built into the city's planning decades ago. If that was the case, props to them. Now it also takes money to maintain these paths, but I would argue it would be a lot less than what the bike share program would cost.

"Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?" 

My guess is that he knows the guy who got the design or and the construction contract. 

Wow, the french system, Velib (i think) was soo great back when I first heard about it. Did a good look into it and found they ran all the repairs and servicing on the waterways, thus keeping costs way down. It has failed in Sydney ... bikes dumped all over the place. Bikes are great but restrict ppl to a certain city limit. Not good.

My friend in QLD years ago was looking at buying off the plan. Every weekend she was dragging her reluctant husband off to look at another dreamscape yet to be built. All had shopping, daycare, gym, cinema, bbq, swimming, bars etc all in the one complex. I told her straight up: you will be a rat in a cage.

To date she still lives in her boondock house and her toddler grandchildren are thrilled at the novelty of running straight out onto lawn from the dining room, something they can't do at home! The youth hate mowing a lawn it seems, the biggest reason I seem to get when asking why.

Pretty daunting reading GH. Thank you so much for the info. A real glimpse into the reality of Agenda 21's future housing intentions for all of us. Not a pretty sight. I've no doubt they have this in mind for NZ as well, we're just in the early stages though. I saved a video / article couple of years back on waterfront apartments in Ak by property developers Willis & Bond who incidentally bought all our local Horowhenua pensioner housing at a super sale price from the council & employed  a front company compassion housing to give it all a good look. Meanwhile the article speaks of a future carless population & 24/7 surveillance for residents in their Ak apartments. 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/video.cfm?c_id=1503079&...

And in the meantime all who mention Agenda 21 are conspiracy theorists. They're in for a rude awakening. Didn't know about the Air BNB either. Big revelation & all makes sense from all of your info. 

Not at the early stages Pam - agenda 21 is in full swing in all our cities. 5G is deployed in NZ 12 months and all systems are go.

Guess so Rose. I just figured, visually, looks like early stages up against what GH has posted 

Toronto is a Canada's largest city, and this burst of growth has been doing on for about 20-15 years. The new plans are just more larger than before.

I had only touched about half of what I saw and still can post a few more pages on the other sites.  And then there are the ones I could not see that are more in the outlying areas. But downtown Toronto it is absolutely insane. I really felt claustrophobic.

Something recent from Martin Harris on the situation in CHCH. "'Welcome to the New World Order:The Agenda 2030 Lifestyle Village Planned for Christchurch"

https://uncensored.co.nz/2018/12/22/welcome-to-the-new-world-order-...

I haven't been to Auckland for a while...massive construction underway there at the moment although I don't know much about what kind (I think I can guess). And apparently they have been attempting to quell the AirBnB situation by taxing people. Not sure if its working.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/105284393/about-1100-to-pay-auckla...

(Some Auckland Airbnb owners making $80000 year)

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=...

Ive been seeing the effects of Agenda 21 ramping up drastically in Northland the past 5 years, speculative investment from Aucklanders snapping up the rentals, and also many selling up for around a million bucks and moving here. Obviously not needing to worry about the lack of work, probably have alot in the bank.

All happening, just rolls out slower in the provinces.

Thanks for Martin's link CP. I hadn't seen that. Had been planning a post on this topic for a while too so will post that one. I had someone send me their OI results from Chch council (complete denial): 

Good afternoon xxxxx

Thank you for your email querying Christchurch City Council's alignment with the UN's Agenda 21. Your email was referred to our Office for a response.

Our Principal Advisor, Sustainability has provided the following advice about the sustainable development goals that CCC is aligning with:-

Agenda 21 emerged from the Rio Earth Summit in 1992 and set the foundation and raised awareness for many things.

https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/outcomedocuments/agenda21

It is very unlikely that CCC is now (after all this time) aligning with this document.

I suspect this is a misunderstanding or miscommunication.

More recently the UN released its Sustainable Development Goals (entirely complementary to Agenda 21 goals).

https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-g...

New Zealand  (central government) has signed up to these goals (and must report progress toward them), but not local councils.

Many municipalities around the world have signed up to these goals - but they have a different context to local government in NZ.

Many organisations in NZ are aligning with these goals and the NZ Stock Exchange asks that all listed companies prepare corporate social / environmental reporting - and points to these UN Goals as a useful reference for reporting along with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI).

https://www.nzx.com/files/attachments/257864.pdf

In NZ ,local government takes its lead from the NZ Local Government Act.

It is a legal requirement for Councils to develop Community Outcomes - that in many ways reflect the Sustainable Development Goals.

However, the Christchurch Outcomes and UN Goals are not fully aligned because many of the UN Goals relate to developing nations.

https://www.ccc.govt.nz/the-council/how-the-council-works/20182028-...

More recently the Council has joined the Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy that asks signatories to measure, manage and report climate actions. The Council would want to do this anyway as this represents good practice.  But it also provides the additional benefit for the Council of sharing information and approaches with others addressing climate challenges and opportunities. This will help Christchurch adopt best practice and share its experience with others, enabling us to take a fast-follower approach and leadership position on climate change.

https://www.globalcovenantofmayors.org/

I hope this helps in understanding Council's position on these matters.

Kind regards

Margaret

Margaret Clune

Senior Advisor to the Chief Executive

Leuren Moret asked me to attach this seeing as the subject is agenda 21

Technocracy: A Clear And Present Danger Of Epic Magnitude

I was sent by the Navy as a representative to a meeting of the NAB with the Menbers of the FCC in San Diego. I watched the D.C. Bureaucrats channel that entire conference to their desired outcome. It was quite a show. By day 3 I didn't even bother trying to debate the merits of the issues any longer, I could see the writing on the wall. That conference has colored my approach to Journalism ever since.

“The Summit has attempted to involve otherwise powerless people of society in the process. But by observing the process we now know how undemocratic and untransparent the UN system is. Those of us who have watched the process have said that UNCED has failed. As youth we beg to differ. Multinational corporations, the United States, Japan, the World Bank, The International Monetary Fund have got away with what they always wanted, carving out a better and more comfortable future for themselves… UNCED has ensured increased domination by those who already have power. Worse still it has robbed the poor of the little power they had. It has made them victims of a market economy that has thus far threatened our planet. Amidst elaborate cocktails, travailing and partying, few negotiators realized how critical their decisions are to our generation. By failing to address such fundamental issues as militarism, regulation of transnational corporations, democratisation of the international aid agencies and inequitable terms of trade, my generation has been damned.”  -  https://www.technocracy.news/technocracy-a-clear-and-present-danger...
image.png 

RSS

© 2019   Created by rose.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service