Kim Dotcom loses appeal against extradition, will take case to Supreme Court

Kim Dotcom loses appeal against extradition, will take case to Supreme Court

Kim Dotcom speaks while Bram van der Kolk looks on during an Intelligence and Security Committee hearing at Bowen House ...
GETTY IMAGES

Kim Dotcom speaks while Bram van der Kolk looks on during an Intelligence and Security Committee hearing at Bowen House in 2013. 

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom has lost his latest court battle against extradition from New Zealand to the United States, setting the scene for a Supreme Court hearing.

Dotcom and three others -  Matthias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato - have been accused of more than a dozen criminal copyright charges relating to the now-defunct file-sharing website Megaupload​, which it is alleged shared pirated films and other content.

They face extradition to the US, which claims they were involved in a worldwide criminal organisation that led to an estimated loss to copyright holders of more than US$500 million.

After losing their case against extradition in the North Shore District Court, and then on appeal in the High Court, the four men had appealed to the Court of Appeal, which on Thursday rejected their arguments.

Dotcom said he was "extremely disappointed" by the decision, and would appeal it to the Supreme Court.

"My legal team are confident that the Supreme Court will hear the appeal given there are such significant legal issues at stake," Dotcom said.

However, acting Prime Minister Winston Peters said the possibility of appealing wasn't clear cut. 

"I am told he seeks to appeal, whether he can or not is a matter of debate."

A Court of Appeal statement explained the appeal was declined because the United States government had sufficient evidence to warrant extradition. 

Read more here

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They are making it sound like he might not be able to appeal to the supreme court. Not liking where this is going. Certainly will be sending an email to Winston and Andrew Little. For whatever good it will do....A hikoi perhaps?

If he is extradited, it is a precedent for extraditing ANYONE who breaks a USA law while not in the USA. Yes, they might claim dotCom damaged them by denying them revenue, but he was not in USA jursidiction at the time. As far as I know there is no nexus whereby he can be connected to the USA. Hollywood claims that he denied them income, by providing the service, but it was the users that did it despite a legal notice to not download Hollywood movies.

This will be interesting, for sure.

Hope he gets his appeal and not sure why Winston would say such a thing or why the media would publish it. The round up is in swing tho for sure.

Theres some background info on this in The 5Th Eye documentary. I watched it the other night it was a good one. Easy to watch and will explain some stuff.

https://thecontrail.com/forum/topics/links-for-the-5th-eye-documentary

RSS

© 2018   Created by rose.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service