Gardening Articles for week ending 4 th AUGUST 2018 
Written by Wally Richards. 

AUGUST AND IT IS ALL STARTING TO HAPPEN 

Day light hours extending, spring bulbs start to flower, dormant roses and trees starting to move and the weather is fairly mild as it has been for most of the winter. 

The increase in phone calls and emails from gardeners I am receiving also shows that the new season is now underway. 

A word of caution though as you can never tell whether a cold snap will take place in the next couple of months or not. This means with warm loving plants dont plant out unless they are well protected or in a glasshouse or similar. 

I always like to get an early start with a tomato or two which should be available from garden shops about now and if you lose them there is not much lost, but if they are not damaged by late frosts then you have a very early start. 

Using my Wallys Hydro Flow Growing System I had the privilege of eating the first ripe tomatoes this week from plants started in April. 

They are in a glasshouse and they have grown well though the winter producing a number of trusses of fruit which are slowly ripening. 

This amazing way to grow plants such as tomatoes, cucumbers, capsicum, egg plants etc can be used by people that do not have room to gardening such in retirement villages, apartments and flats. 

Once set up all you have to do is fill the holding tank with the special plant food as needed and pick the fruit. Support is needed for taller growing plants and vines. 

If for instance you lived in an apartment and had a balcony facing in a more northerly direction, your in business. If a storm was coming you simply bring it all inside till the weather is favorable again. 

Containers easily portable and just need plants to be given sufficient support. 

An email from a lady this week about Dahlias read: Good morning Wally 

Could you please tell me how to prepare my dahlias. Every year they start flowering beautifully and then suddenly all the buds start to go rotten, or only open part way. Thank you; Edith 

My reply: I presume you lift the tubers? 

The correct way to grow is not to plant the tuber but to layer them in a tray of sand or potting mix. 

Once there are spouts up about 3 to 5 inches lift the tuber and par off the sprouts taking a bit of the tuber and the roots that have developed. 

You plant these not the tuber. 

So now you have fresh young plants and then throw away the possible diseased tubers. 

If during the season the flowers start to get damaged then spray the plants and flowers with Condys Crystals and later on with Perkfection. See how that goes. 

Planting the shoots is the best way to re-grow the dahlias and then throw away the old tubers. 

If you have not lifted your dahlias then keep an eye on them and when they have produced new growths you can then lift them and do the above. 

Freshen up the soil with blood & bone plus sheep manure pellets then plant some shoots that you have pared off the old tuber. 

You will have better blooms and plants plus likely more dahlia plants for planting in other areas or pop them into little pots and give them away. 

Strawberries will be starting to move and so a two weekly spray of Mycorrcin can be started now. 

This will increase the amount of fruit you pick during the season by 200 to 400% ! 

When the first fruit have formed then if you would like bigger juicier fruit apply a little of Wallys Secret Strawberry Food but not till you have a good show of fruit. 

I took some young strawberry runners and popped one into each corner of the Hydro Flow containers with a tomato seedling in the centre. 

As they are in a glasshouse the plants have started flowering early and it will be interesting to see how big the fruit will get in the system. 

Under planting of containers is a good way to use as much growing space as possible. 

On my 100 litre (cut in half 200 litre drums) that I am growing fruit trees in; I under plant them with parsley, silverbeet, radish, lettuce etc, why waste that space? 

I see my garlic are up and away showing nice clean foliage. I have sprayed them a couple of times with Wallys Liquid Sulphur with potassium permanganate and Raingard added to help prevent that garlic rust from ruining the crop. 

Soon I will spray the leaves with Vaporgard to further protect them with the film of Vaporgard. 

Now is a great time to get early potatoes in if you have the garden room to do so as you can have them mature in November before the psyllids get going in the summer and ruin later planted crops. 

Leaves on stone fruit trees will be starting to emerge soon and then curly leaf will strike. Start a 7 to 10 day spray program using a quarter a teaspoon of potassium permanganate per litre of water with 1 mil of Raingard added to each litre of spray. 

Spray both foliage, trunk and soil. 

While doing that also include your roses and garlic. 

Plums that also have curling leaves later on is caused by the plum aphid attacking the baby leaves when they are starting to grow. Spray with Wallys Super Neem Oil with Raingard added every 14 days. 

When your apple tree starts flowering is the time to sprinkle Wally Neem Tree Granules from the trunk to the drip line to reduce Codlin moth damage. 

Going off topic here but a matter that concerns everyone that believe that our native species should be protected such as the great Kauri. 

After reading some past science reports and putting two & two together I think I might have found the reason for Kauri Die back: The most likely original cause of Kauri die back is 1080 poison. 

How did that happen? Well in the soil you have beneficial microbes and pathogens and in a healthy soil environment the beneficial microbes far out number the pathogens competing for the same food source (carbohydrates) which the plants supply. 

Now when you kill off the beneficial microbes the pathogens quickly take over and affect the roots of plants stealing the carbohydrates and reducing the trees ability to obtain moisture and nutrients from the soil. 

It is shown that 1080 not only kills animals, insects but also soil life. 

Once the pathogens build up numbers into their millions they are soil borne and the likes of trampers, pigs and birds can carry these microscopic pathogens to other areas and spread the disease (Which DOC realises; we call it a soil borne disease) 

So 1080 has likely taken out our kauri forest dwellers for ever. 

There is ways of reversing this damage but from what I hear the DOC people have no idea which is fairly obvious for them using 1080 in the first place. 

It is like the myrtle rust disease they could not figure why one side of a infected plant was infected and not the other. 

Is 1080 poison toxic to plants? The answer is yes according to the label! 

The warning label on 1080 states "Very toxic to terrestrial animals and PHYTOTOXIC to many plants". (Phytotoxic means toxic to plants.) 

A scientist who did not wish to be named because of “commercial sensitivity” said to assess this possibility of 1080 and kauri dieback being related a mathematical correlation exercise comparing 1080 drops with PTA-affected areas would be needed. 

He doubted if such a correlation (between 1080 drops and PTA outbreaks) existed. 

“But maybe someone should do it just to check. 

I don’t know if DOC or anyone else have tried correlating PTA outbreaks with other possible environmental causes but I would have expected them to do so.” 

He said he had not heard any plausible theories about what was causing the latest outbreaks but there was always the possibility that chemicals such as 1080 could cause ‘ disturbances”, weakening soil micro-organism activity which in turn allowed the die-back. 

Sometimes we need to wonder why such a toxic substance is allowed to be used in NZ as it is banned in most countries?

WELCOME TO SPRING SALE TIME 

It is that time that we each year when we offer special discounts on most of our gardening products so you can get a cost saving start to the new season. 

The savings will be 20% off most of the products you can see on www.0800466464.co.nz including any Neem products and Magic Botanic Liquid (all sizes) 

It excludes any bulk products such as 12.5kg Fruit and Flower power (Note there will always be freight costs added to bulk products.) 

It also excludes the New Wallys Hydro Flow Growing Systems. 

The Deluxe system will have part freight costs of $30 North Island and $50 South Island with no delivery to rural, PO Boxes or Waiheke/Stewart Island. 

The Deluxe system comes in two big parcels which only weigh about 24kg but are two big for normal courier or rural delivery. (Can be sent to the companies local office for pick up or a friends place in a town/city) 

On orders where you are obtaining the 20% discount when the total order comes to $100 after discounts then it is free shipping North Island (Includes rural but not PO Boxes or Waiheke and Great Barrier. 

South Island total $150 after discounts, free shipping including rural but not PO Boxes or Stewart Island. 

Every order during this promotion period which starts as soon as you receive this notification till the 30 th of September 2018 will receive free an autographed copy of Wallys Green Tips for Gardeners. 

(Value $22.00 if you already have a copy give it as a gift to family, friends or the local library) 

As you are obviously on the Internet to receive the weekly articles please place all orders on the 0800 web site so we have all your details. 

Once we receive the order I will phone you later to sort out your discounts, freight (if any) and how you prefer to pay with the option of Credit/Debit card safely over the phone or I email you the details for a bank transfer. 

I can also answer any questions you may have at that time. 

Also at anytime if you have a gardening problem either phone me on the 0800466464 or email me and include your contact phone number in the email. 

Simple questions would be answered by return email but more interesting ones would likely require a phone call. 

So what is new? 

We are in the process of packaging a number of our 1 kg powder type products into pouches instead of containers/jars which means a bit less plastic used and it has kept prices stable. 

Three of our very popular products which are Perkfection, Mycorrcin and Moss & Liverwort Control are now available in one litre containers which are better value than the smaller sizes if you are using a lot of them. 

Our Neem Tree Granules and Neem Tree Powder are now available in 1kg bags as well as the 3kg, 10 kg and 20kg bags. Some gardeners prefer a 10kg of powder and a 10kg of granules rather than one 20kg bag of one. 

Rok Solid is no longer being made and soon our stock of it will be gone but no problem we have a very similar product call Probitas to replace it. Likely you will not notice the difference. 

Stocks of Probitas will be arriving once the it obtains a new Organic Certification (they added another component to it.) 

Ammonium sulphamate sold as either Super Stump Rotter or as Compost accelerator or labeled for both uses in a 2kg jar have been selling well. 

Some gardeners have discovered that mixed at 100 to 200 grams per litre of water it gets rid of plants safely you dont want. 

We cant sell it for that purpose on the label as it would then require registration. 

I read that the Railways years ago used to use it on their railway tracks for killing unwanted plants before Roundup was invented. 

As we take health very seriously we have added to our health range of MSM (Organic Sulphur food supplement) Vitamin C powder, Luguls Iodine, organic underarm deodorants and organic panty liners and pads. 

The deodorants do not contain aluminium as many similar products do and the panty lines and pads are chemical free paper, used that is ionized. 

No cotton used which these days 85% of cotton products contain glyphosate unless certified organic cotton. 

Gardening products to remember about if you have these problems: 

Terracin for control of soil diseases including club root. 

Silicon Cell Strengthening kit to over come psyllid problems on tomatoes, potatoes and tree tomatoes. 

Panda film for increased light for growing plants. 

Soon we are going to have available for ordering will be; off the grid solar power systems for supplying 230volts for your glasshouses and emergency power when the grid fails. 

These we will be importing from China (I have one already and its great) and legal as long as it is NOT connected to the grid. So you set it up as a separate stand alone power source. 

Easy to do if you have a good working knowledge of electricity. 

Here's to a great natural growing season.. 

Regards 

Wally Richards 

Gardening Articles for week ending 4 th AUGUST 2018 
Written by Wally Richards. 

AUGUST AND IT IS ALL STARTING TO HAPPEN 

Day light hours extending, spring bulbs start to flower, dormant roses and trees starting to move and the weather is fairly mild as it has been for most of the winter. 

The increase in phone calls and emails from gardeners I am receiving also shows that the new season is now underway. 

A word of caution though as you can never tell whether a cold snap will take place in the next couple of months or not. This means with warm loving plants dont plant out unless they are well protected or in a glasshouse or similar. 

I always like to get an early start with a tomato or two which should be available from garden shops about now and if you lose them there is not much lost, but if they are not damaged by late frosts then you have a very early start. 

Using my Wallys Hydro Flow Growing System I had the privilege of eating the first ripe tomatoes this week from plants started in April. 

They are in a glasshouse and they have grown well though the winter producing a number of trusses of fruit which are slowly ripening. 

This amazing way to grow plants such as tomatoes, cucumbers, capsicum, egg plants etc can be used by people that do not have room to gardening such in retirement villages, apartments and flats. 

Once set up all you have to do is fill the holding tank with the special plant food as needed and pick the fruit. Support is needed for taller growing plants and vines. 

If for instance you lived in an apartment and had a balcony facing in a more northerly direction, your in business. If a storm was coming you simply bring it all inside till the weather is favorable again. 

Containers easily portable and just need plants to be given sufficient support. 

An email from a lady this week about Dahlias read: Good morning Wally 

Could you please tell me how to prepare my dahlias. Every year they start flowering beautifully and then suddenly all the buds start to go rotten, or only open part way. Thank you; Edith 

My reply: I presume you lift the tubers? 

The correct way to grow is not to plant the tuber but to layer them in a tray of sand or potting mix. 

Once there are spouts up about 3 to 5 inches lift the tuber and par off the sprouts taking a bit of the tuber and the roots that have developed. 

You plant these not the tuber. 

So now you have fresh young plants and then throw away the possible diseased tubers. 

If during the season the flowers start to get damaged then spray the plants and flowers with Condys Crystals and later on with Perkfection. See how that goes. 

Planting the shoots is the best way to re-grow the dahlias and then throw away the old tubers. 

If you have not lifted your dahlias then keep an eye on them and when they have produced new growths you can then lift them and do the above. 

Freshen up the soil with blood & bone plus sheep manure pellets then plant some shoots that you have pared off the old tuber. 

You will have better blooms and plants plus likely more dahlia plants for planting in other areas or pop them into little pots and give them away. 

Strawberries will be starting to move and so a two weekly spray of Mycorrcin can be started now. 

This will increase the amount of fruit you pick during the season by 200 to 400% ! 

When the first fruit have formed then if you would like bigger juicier fruit apply a little of Wallys Secret Strawberry Food but not till you have a good show of fruit. 

I took some young strawberry runners and popped one into each corner of the Hydro Flow containers with a tomato seedling in the centre. 

As they are in a glasshouse the plants have started flowering early and it will be interesting to see how big the fruit will get in the system. 

Under planting of containers is a good way to use as much growing space as possible. 

On my 100 litre (cut in half 200 litre drums) that I am growing fruit trees in; I under plant them with parsley, silverbeet, radish, lettuce etc, why waste that space? 

I see my garlic are up and away showing nice clean foliage. I have sprayed them a couple of times with Wallys Liquid Sulphur with potassium permanganate and Raingard added to help prevent that garlic rust from ruining the crop. 

Soon I will spray the leaves with Vaporgard to further protect them with the film of Vaporgard. 

Now is a great time to get early potatoes in if you have the garden room to do so as you can have them mature in November before the psyllids get going in the summer and ruin later planted crops. 

Leaves on stone fruit trees will be starting to emerge soon and then curly leaf will strike. Start a 7 to 10 day spray program using a quarter a teaspoon of potassium permanganate per litre of water with 1 mil of Raingard added to each litre of spray. 

Spray both foliage, trunk and soil. 

While doing that also include your roses and garlic. 

Plums that also have curling leaves later on is caused by the plum aphid attacking the baby leaves when they are starting to grow. Spray with Wallys Super Neem Oil with Raingard added every 14 days. 

When your apple tree starts flowering is the time to sprinkle Wally Neem Tree Granules from the trunk to the drip line to reduce Codlin moth damage. 

Going off topic here but a matter that concerns everyone that believe that our native species should be protected such as the great Kauri. 

After reading some past science reports and putting two & two together I think I might have found the reason for Kauri Die back: The most likely original cause of Kauri die back is 1080 poison. 

How did that happen? Well in the soil you have beneficial microbes and pathogens and in a healthy soil environment the beneficial microbes far out number the pathogens competing for the same food source (carbohydrates) which the plants supply. 

Now when you kill off the beneficial microbes the pathogens quickly take over and affect the roots of plants stealing the carbohydrates and reducing the trees ability to obtain moisture and nutrients from the soil. 

It is shown that 1080 not only kills animals, insects but also soil life. 

Once the pathogens build up numbers into their millions they are soil borne and the likes of trampers, pigs and birds can carry these microscopic pathogens to other areas and spread the disease (Which DOC realises; we call it a soil borne disease) 

So 1080 has likely taken out our kauri forest dwellers for ever. 

There is ways of reversing this damage but from what I hear the DOC people have no idea which is fairly obvious for them using 1080 in the first place. 

It is like the myrtle rust disease they could not figure why one side of a infected plant was infected and not the other. 

Is 1080 poison toxic to plants? The answer is yes according to the label! 

The warning label on 1080 states "Very toxic to terrestrial animals and PHYTOTOXIC to many plants". (Phytotoxic means toxic to plants.) 

A scientist who did not wish to be named because of “commercial sensitivity” said to assess this possibility of 1080 and kauri dieback being related a mathematical correlation exercise comparing 1080 drops with PTA-affected areas would be needed. 

He doubted if such a correlation (between 1080 drops and PTA outbreaks) existed. 

“But maybe someone should do it just to check. 

I don’t know if DOC or anyone else have tried correlating PTA outbreaks with other possible environmental causes but I would have expected them to do so.” 

He said he had not heard any plausible theories about what was causing the latest outbreaks but there was always the possibility that chemicals such as 1080 could cause ‘ disturbances”, weakening soil micro-organism activity which in turn allowed the die-back. 

Sometimes we need to wonder why such a toxic substance is allowed to be used in NZ as it is banned in most countries?

WELCOME TO SPRING SALE TIME 

It is that time that we each year when we offer special discounts on most of our gardening products so you can get a cost saving start to the new season. 

The savings will be 20% off most of the products you can see on www.0800466464.co.nz including any Neem products and Magic Botanic Liquid (all sizes) 

It excludes any bulk products such as 12.5kg Fruit and Flower power (Note there will always be freight costs added to bulk products.) 

It also excludes the New Wallys Hydro Flow Growing Systems. 

The Deluxe system will have part freight costs of $30 North Island and $50 South Island with no delivery to rural, PO Boxes or Waiheke/Stewart Island. 

The Deluxe system comes in two big parcels which only weigh about 24kg but are two big for normal courier or rural delivery. (Can be sent to the companies local office for pick up or a friends place in a town/city) 

On orders where you are obtaining the 20% discount when the total order comes to $100 after discounts then it is free shipping North Island (Includes rural but not PO Boxes or Waiheke and Great Barrier. 

South Island total $150 after discounts, free shipping including rural but not PO Boxes or Stewart Island. 

Every order during this promotion period which starts as soon as you receive this notification till the 30 th of September 2018 will receive free an autographed copy of Wallys Green Tips for Gardeners. 

(Value $22.00 if you already have a copy give it as a gift to family, friends or the local library) 

As you are obviously on the Internet to receive the weekly articles please place all orders on the 0800 web site so we have all your details. 

Once we receive the order I will phone you later to sort out your discounts, freight (if any) and how you prefer to pay with the option of Credit/Debit card safely over the phone or I email you the details for a bank transfer. 

I can also answer any questions you may have at that time. 

Also at anytime if you have a gardening problem either phone me on the 0800466464 or email me and include your contact phone number in the email. 

Simple questions would be answered by return email but more interesting ones would likely require a phone call. 

So what is new? 

We are in the process of packaging a number of our 1 kg powder type products into pouches instead of containers/jars which means a bit less plastic used and it has kept prices stable. 

Three of our very popular products which are Perkfection, Mycorrcin and Moss & Liverwort Control are now available in one litre containers which are better value than the smaller sizes if you are using a lot of them. 

Our Neem Tree Granules and Neem Tree Powder are now available in 1kg bags as well as the 3kg, 10 kg and 20kg bags. Some gardeners prefer a 10kg of powder and a 10kg of granules rather than one 20kg bag of one. 

Rok Solid is no longer being made and soon our stock of it will be gone but no problem we have a very similar product call Probitas to replace it. Likely you will not notice the difference. 

Stocks of Probitas will be arriving once the it obtains a new Organic Certification (they added another component to it.) 

Ammonium sulphamate sold as either Super Stump Rotter or as Compost accelerator or labeled for both uses in a 2kg jar have been selling well. 

Some gardeners have discovered that mixed at 100 to 200 grams per litre of water it gets rid of plants safely you dont want. 

We cant sell it for that purpose on the label as it would then require registration. 

I read that the Railways years ago used to use it on their railway tracks for killing unwanted plants before Roundup was invented. 

As we take health very seriously we have added to our health range of MSM (Organic Sulphur food supplement) Vitamin C powder, Luguls Iodine, organic underarm deodorants and organic panty liners and pads. 

The deodorants do not contain aluminium as many similar products do and the panty lines and pads are chemical free paper, used that is ionized. 

No cotton used which these days 85% of cotton products contain glyphosate unless certified organic cotton. 

Gardening products to remember about if you have these problems: 

Terracin for control of soil diseases including club root. 

Silicon Cell Strengthening kit to over come psyllid problems on tomatoes, potatoes and tree tomatoes. 

Panda film for increased light for growing plants. 

Soon we are going to have available for ordering will be; off the grid solar power systems for supplying 230volts for your glasshouses and emergency power when the grid fails. 

These we will be importing from China (I have one already and its great) and legal as long as it is NOT connected to the grid. So you set it up as a separate stand alone power source. 

Easy to do if you have a good working knowledge of electricity. 

Here's to a great natural growing season.. 

Regards 

Wally Richards 

Problems ring me at 0800 466464 (Palmerston North 3570606) 
Email wallyjr@gardenews.co.nz 
Web site www.gardenews.co.nz 

Views: 26

© 2019   Created by rose.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service